Westover's Lead Pastor Transition
Over its almost 75-year history, Westover Church has been blessed by the Lord with faithful men of God serving and leading the body as our Lead Pastor. Seeking wisdom from God's Word and following the leading of the Holy Spirit, these men have helped Westover navigate seasons of both celebration and challenge. Through it all, the Lord is ever faithful.
For the last 30 years, the body of Westover has been richly blessed to sit under the teaching and leadership of Pastor Don Miller. As we celebrate his retirement, we look forward to seeing who God has ordained and appointed for this next chapter in Westover's history!
Westover is prayerfully walking through the process of searching for our next Lead Pastor. After much prayer and input from leaders throughout the church, the Elders have developed the following candidate profile for our next pastor:
- The Lead Pastor meets all the requirements set out in the Constitution of Westover church, including scriptural mandates found in I Timothy 3:1-7 and Titus 1:5-9 and alignment with the Statement of Beliefs found in Westover's constitution.
- He maintains a healthy, vibrant, and growing relationship with Jesus.
- His relationship with his spouse is thriving and he builds into those closest to him, foremost being his family.
- He is a steadfast man of humility, grace, prayer and love who maintains people who hold him accountable.
- He evidences authenticity, steadiness, integrity, transparency and Christ-centered confidence.
- He is continually growing, both personally and in ministry, regularly seeking to learn new ways of being and of doing ministry.
- His identity is not found in the success of the ministry nor in those he serves, rather in Christ alone.
- He seeks the glory of Jesus first in all things.
- He works towards a balance of healthy living for body, mind, and soul.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree and a Master of Divinity or comparable graduate degree preferred
- Minimum of 5 years of experience as a lead pastor or comparable experience as an associate pastor/campus pastor of a medium to large congregation; preaching/teaching in the context of a teaching team, discipleship development, and communication
- A deep commitment to Missions that has been evidenced in previous employment
- SKILLS/KNOWLEDGE: Excellent oral and written communication skills, strong interpersonal skills, gifted communicator and expositor of God’s Word, high relational bent with an emphasis on caring for staff and leaders
- LEADERSHIP: Engaged as a humble leader of leaders, especially spiritually
- SPIRITUAL GIFTS: Pastor/Shepherd, Leadership, Teaching, Encouragement and/or Mercy
- PASSION: Zealous and industrious in ministry to expound God’s Word, to equip leaders to do the work of the ministry.
- DOCTRINAL POSITION: Embraces Westover’s essentials as outlined in the Constitution of Westover Church
- ROLE: This is a full-time pastoral position; must be ordained and licensed
To help facilitate the search and bring awareness to the position, Westover has partnered with Vanderbloemen Search Group, an executive search firm that helps faith-based organizations build great teams through staffing and consulting. We are excited for the opportunity to work alongside Vanderbloemen together, and are committed to finding Westover's next Lead Pastor.
A complete overview of the opportunity can be found on Vanderbloemen's website. All interested candidates should apply directly through Vanderbloemen.
Westover's Lead Pastor Search process follows the guidelines laid out in our church's Constitution (pages 14–15) including the makeup of the team and the steps the search team takes to find and approve a candidate.
Throughout this season we are committed to keeping you, the Westover Family, informed about what this process looks like and where things currently stand. In doing so, we trust the Lord will work in and through us, preparing us for a new season of welcoming our next Lead Pastor. If you have questions, comments, or feedback about the Lead Pastor Search, please contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are currently in STEP 2 of the search process.